Sonica Glasgow 2019
Volunteers will play an instrumental role in the success of Sonica Glasgow 2019. This autumn we are looking to engage reliable and enthusiastic volunteers who are keen to work alongside the Cryptic team to help us deliver this large-scale festival programme Glasgow-wide.
Cryptic is a Glasgow based internationally-renowned producing art house, presenting today’s most imaginative, innovative artists whilst also nurturing the creative talent of tomorrow. We create memorable experiences that engage and inspire our audiences, ‘ravishing the senses’ with multi-media performances that fuse music, sonic and visual art.
It is important to us that all our volunteers gain skills and experiences that will be useful to them in the future, get to know Cryptic and the artists we work with and have an enjoyable and memorable experience. We encourage people from all different backgrounds and with a variety of previous experiences to apply. However, there are some qualities we would like all volunteers to have:
- Enthusiastic, reliable and flexible;
- Outgoing with good communication skills and initiative;
- An interest in contemporary culture;
- Able to commit to the festival for the allocated time;
- At least 18 years of age.
Who are we looking for?
Front of House:
This team assists with front of house duties at all Sonica venues. This is a customer facing role and will provide volunteers with experience in box office and audience evaluation. This will include assisting with audience management and with invigilating installations during the day, evenings and weekends. The role also involves informing and engaging visitors and so an interest or knowledge of contemporary art and performance is desirable. We are looking for enthusiastic people with good communication skills to welcome and engage audiences.
Delegate Registration & Customer Information Teams:
Volunteers will be involved in the onsite registration of delegates and assisting the Cryptic team in the handling of customer information enquiries. This will require greeting delegates, checking names against online registrations, and the printing and distribution of delegate passes and information packs. These teams will be the first point of contact for audiences. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required.
Volunteers in this team will be involved in the onsite registration of performing artists. This will involve greeting artists, printing and distribution of artist packs and any other relevant materials. Volunteers will be based in a variety of venues in the run up to and during the festival to assist with these tasks. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are also required.
Venue Technical Assistants:
Volunteers for festival technical team must have some technical knowledge of how an arts installation works or experience in live multi-media events.
Volunteers will be assigned a role depending on their interests and experience. Shifts are dictated by installation and performance schedules and load in/out timings. This role offers volunteers general technical experience across the Sonica programme.
In the run up to and during the festival, volunteers will be fully supported by the Cryptic team, have a dedicated point of contact and given clear guidance on their role. A presentation detailing the work will be given to every volunteer to equip you with sufficient knowledge on the project before your role starts.
These roles are voluntary, but the following benefits are available for volunteers:
- We will be flexible about your working arrangements on the understanding that you are providing your time for free and may have other work or study commitments;
- We will work with you to offer a challenging, useful experience that helps develop skills you are seeking;
- We will provide half-day and full-day per diems of £5 and £10 to cover expenses;
- We will provide tickets to attend Sonica performances and events for free. This is to be agreed in advance and is dependent on availability;
- We will provide access and disability training;
- We can give you a glowing reference if your work is of a high quality and you are reliable;
- You will join a collective of talented, exciting people with which to make friends and contacts.
If you are interested, please sign up here and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss the application process for each of the opportunities on offer.