Volunteer Opportunities: 27 July – 14 August 2018
Volunteers will play an instrumental role in the success of our Festival 2018 project, Portal. This summer we are looking to engage reliable and enthusiastic volunteers who are keen to work alongside the Cryptic team to help us deliver this large-scale site-specific project in the Clyde Tunnel.
Cryptic is a Glasgow based internationally-renowned producing art house, presenting today’s most imaginative, innovative artists whilst also nurturing the creative talent of tomorrow. We create memorable experiences that engage and inspire our audiences, ‘ravishing the senses’ with multi-media performances that fuse music, sonic and visual art.
It is important to us that all our volunteers gain skills and experiences that will be useful to them in the future, get to know Cryptic and the artists we work with and have an enjoyable and memorable experience. We encourage people from all different backgrounds and with a variety of previous experiences to apply. However, there are some qualities we would like all volunteers to have:
- Enthusiastic, reliable and flexible;
- Outgoing with good communication skills and initiative;
- An interest in contemporary culture;
- Able to commit to the event for the allocated time;
- At least 18 years of age.
Who are we looking for?
Front of House:
This team assists with front of house duties at the installation. This is a customer facing role and will provide volunteers with experience in box office and audience evaluation. This will include assisting with audience management and with invigilating the installation during the day, evenings or weekends. The role also involves informing and engaging visitors and so an interest or knowledge of contemporary art and performance is desirable. We are looking for enthusiastic people with good communication skills to welcome and engage audiences.
Customer Information Teams:
Volunteers will be involved in assisting the Cryptic team in the handling of customer information enquiries. These teams will be the first point of contact for audiences. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required.
Venue Technical Assistants:
Volunteers for our Festival 2018 Technical Crew must have some technical knowledge of how an arts installation works or experience in multi-media events.
Volunteers will be assigned a role depending on their interests and experience. Shifts are dictated by installation schedules and load in/out timings. This role offers volunteers general technical experience across the Sonica programme.
In the run up to and during Portal, volunteers will be fully supported by the Cryptic team, have a dedicated point of contact and given clear guidance on their role. A presentation detailing the work will be given to every volunteer to equip you with sufficient knowledge on the project before your role starts.
These roles are voluntary, but the following benefits are available for volunteers:
- We will be flexible about your working arrangements on the understanding that you are providing your time for free and may have other work or study commitments;
- We will work with you to offer a challenging, useful experience that helps develop skills you are seeking;
- We will provide half-day and full-day per diems of £5 and £10 to cover expenses;
- We will provide access and disability training;
- We can give you a glowing reference if your work is of a high quality and you are reliable;
- You will join a collective of talented, exciting people with which to make friends and contacts.
If you are interested, please send us:
- A 250-word statement stating what role you are interested in, why you would like to be involved in Portal, what you are hoping to gain, and what specific skills and qualities you feel you can bring;
- An up to date CV;
- Your availability between 27 July and 14 August 2018. Please note volunteers are required to be available for at least 4 shifts between 3 & 12 August. Training will take place during the week beginning 23 July 2018;
- A completed equal opportunities monitoring form which can be downloaded here.
The closing date for applications is 09:00 on Monday 16 July 2017 and short interviews will be held at the end of the week for selected applicants.
Cryptic is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all people. Please let us know if you need any special assistance with your application or to fulfil your role.